Design and Make: Make a car with a matchbox and a magnet
Our Procedure to make a magnet car and move it with a larger magnet
Matchbox, 2 cocktail sticks, a straw, sellotape, a magnet small enough to fit in the box and a bigger one to push or pull the car, cardboard, coins for making circles, ruler for measuring and blue tack for covering the sharp points of the cocktail sticks.
1. First we estimated the width of the matchbox.
2. Then we got the ruler and measured the width. It was 3 ½ cm.
3. We measured 3 ½ cm on the straw and cut it.
4. We checked and it fitted exactly on the matchbox.
5. We used sellotape to attach the straw to the matchbox and then did this a second time.
6. We put 1 cocktail stick through each straw to make an axle that can go around.
7. We had to think about why we needed to put the cocktail stick inside a straw.
8. We know it is so that the cocktail stick will go around like an axle.
9. Next we drew around the €1 coin and cut it out.
10. Then we drew a line through the middle. We found out that this was called the diameter.
11. We drew another line through the middle and where they met was the centre point.
12. The teacher made a hole with a needle at that point for the cocktail stick. We did this 3 more times to make the rest of the wheels.
13. We attached the wheels to the cocktail sticks and covered the sharp points with blue-tack.
14. Last of all we put a small magnet in the car.
15. Now the car is ready and we can decorate it or add a cover to it.
16. We used a big magnet to make the car move. We can use the opposite poles to pull the car or we can push the car if we put like poles together.
We had great fun testing our cars and trying to race them!