The Famine Graveyard

Between 1845 and 1850, more than a million Irish people starved to death due to the Potato Famine. The Famine Graveyard in Ballytivnan was built to commemorate the people of Sligo who starved to death during this time.

Sculpture in the Famine Graveyard

Gates into the Famine Graveyard


Forthill got its name from the Green Fort that was built in 1646. This was a star-shaped fort. Sligo Town had to be well protected during the Jacobite war between William of Orange and King James II. The Green Fort was the strongest part of the town’s defences as there is a good view of the surrounding area.